Billy On Okinawa.... Adding More Stories To Tell.........

"Once we meet we are brothers and sisters" this is the Okinawan belief. This blog is for the wholesome stories, one can tell their children. lol And by the way, just in case your wondering...I was asked for a nick name.. I said "Viry," they understood "Billy." So.. call me Billy as in "Billy Goat."

Monday, February 13, 2006

I Couldn't Of Said It Better....


I recieved this email earlier today from Julie...



"My level of sensitivity has been increasing rapidly this past week.....I have become more aware and more irritated by the SOUNDS people around me have been making.....strange (I know), over sensitive (of course), solvable (no way)........
Is it a pre requisite for Japanese Culture that horrible noise be made at all times from the nose, throat, mouth?????
The teacher sitting right beside me sucks her teeeth at least 3 times every 10minutes.....and loudly....
The teacher that sits across from me inhales his own mucous from his nasal passages at least once every 12 minutes....loudly ..
The teacher that sits beside nasal mucous teacher makes these weird grunting noises at least 3 times every 30seconds (while talking).
Last night at a Japanese gathering the man sitting beside me was sucking and slurping and oohing and ahhing continuously during dinner.....loudly.....oh and then belching....loudly
The lady that sits next to the computer chews on invisible gum all day....therefore cracking her jaw once every 7 minutes.

I have been informed that this hightened sensitivity is because of Culture Shock.....I am sure that it is partial culture shock and partially just the way I am....and always have been...over sensitive towards noisy and avoidable body functions.....but there is NO NEED for everyone around me to make such terrible noises with their noses, mouths and throats.....get a kleenex......brush your teeth.....keep your noises to your self......

But thats where this thing of culture comes in....it is ok and accepted and even encouraged for people to make disgusting loud noises from their nose, mouth and throat here in Japan...especially when eating some delectable SOBA......

Maybe the solution is this......I will just join in with the fun and find some horrible noise to make from my mouth, nose, or throat that is suited for my manner....then I will make the noise all day long REALLY LOUD so that I drown out any other annoying noises... "


Julie... I couldn't have put this any more elequently as you did. While in India, it was the same but 200 times worse!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

try sleeping next to my husband... then you will discover what loud noises are!!!

M.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 4:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

then again.... I wouldn't want you too!

M. again

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 4:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home