Billy On Okinawa.... Adding More Stories To Tell.........

"Once we meet we are brothers and sisters" this is the Okinawan belief. This blog is for the wholesome stories, one can tell their children. lol And by the way, just in case your wondering...I was asked for a nick name.. I said "Viry," they understood "Billy." So.. call me Billy as in "Billy Goat."

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Tonaki Jima

Tonaki Anyone? We scrambled early in the morning to catch the ferry to Tonaki. Thank God for inventing sea-sickness pills. I think I kept playing footsies with the old lady sleeping next to me. We doubled the population of Tonaki when we landed. Ok, no just kidding but the island went from 500 people to 504. We rented little cars for 800 Y. an hour. We drove around in the rain, got wet and saw lots of the beautiful small island. At night, Jon our host, hosted a games night with some of the villagers. Shin-chan and Nori-San were our guests.

The island is small, but beautiful. You can walk across Tonaki in literally 15 mins. There are no major roads, and Main St. is about 7 ft. wide. The gas station only has 1 pump that is rarely used. There are 2 stores on Tonaki, but they are run from the inside of people's homes. Most of the houses are old Okinawan style with a cement block right in the front, to block the evil spirits. Nonetheless, Lisa, Rosalinda, Aussie-Jess and myself enjoyed ourselves!!

The next morning, the girls left and I stayed behind for one more night. Minako-Sensai came over Jon's house, and we had an improve Mexican Dinner. In the evening we watched old movies while listening to the rain. On Monday morning, the Hari races began. I was invited to participate in the race. My team lost.... but it was a blast.

Thanks Again for Great Times Jon!!!



Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home